[Taxacom] Wanted: a page on marking up

Weitzman, Anna WEITZMAN at si.edu
Tue May 15 08:32:24 CDT 2007

Dear Mary,

The way in which we mark up taxonomic work is being addressed by several groups at the moment, and is subject to a TDWG group's work.  Currently we do not have an agreed standard, but some generalities and possibilities are beginning to appear.

Two key questions are: "'what do we want to put into XML?" and "how detailed do we need the atomisation of the content of the paper?"

We can take a broad brush approach, and identify the different components of a paper.  This is much the way that most schemas have developed, and is the overall approach of the taxonX.  This clearly is a baseline, upon which we might build further as needed.

Within that, we might want to focus on characters, in order to be able to extract them and use them in conjunction with the species/ taxa / concepts to build, for example, keys, descriptions coming from several sources, or field guides, some examples of automating this have been done at University of Illinois with Bryan Heidorn, especially by Hong Cui, one of his former students.

We might also wish to focus on the nomenclatural, taxonomic, citation and specimen side of the data.  This is the approach we have taken with taXMLit (http://www.sil.si.edu/digitalcollections/bca/status.cfm <https://webaccess.si.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.sil.si.edu/digitalcollections/bca/status.cfm>  ).  The implementation of this will include interoperability with TDWG standards for names and specimen data, and allow simultaneous access to literature elements and to specimen data, catalogues and other distributed resources.  Currently we have marked up a set of taxonomic publications, including a volume of the Biologia Centrali-Americana, and are developing the implementation, a preliminary version of which we plan to show at the TDWG meeting in Bratislava.

We are also working on instructions for using taXMLit to mark up taxonomic documents.  That said, the long-term solution is to develop tools (which we and others are working on) to parse these documents into such a format using computer capabilities, including simple logic but also artificial intelligence ('machine learning').  The latter has been used in other areas, including molecular bioinformatics and there are developments that we should be able to use to our advantage in taxonomy.

Anna & Chris

Anna L. Weitzman, PhD
Informatics, Botany and Biodiversity Research
National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution

202.633.0846
weitzman at si.edu

Christopher H.C. Lyal, PhD
Beetle Diversity and Evolution Programme,
Department of Entomology,
The Natural History Museum,
Cromwell Road,
London SW7 5BD