[Taxacom] Wanted: a page on marking up

Shorthouse, David dps1 at ualberta.ca
Tue May 15 09:17:43 CDT 2007

Mary et al,

	Before there are established protocols or schema to produce xml
documents for taxonomic mark-up or the Semantic Web thinking has
sufficiently gelled, let us first back-up a second and simplify the
situation.

	If I understand Mary correctly, she is looking more for a recipe to
produce good HTML for search engine optimization or, failing that, a
folksonomy of sorts to ensure that her content can somehow be aggregated or
discovered. Apologies, Mary if this really isn't the case. Regardless, since
producers of web content are still much like Google, MSN, or Yahoo pawns, it
would behoove all of us who produce content for the web to understand what
elements make a page climb up the search ranks. This is indeed a slippery
slope...please avoid companies whose specialize in search engine
optimizations...but a good place to start is
http://seo-tutorial.seoadministrator.com/. If in addition to this you were
looking for a folksonomy of sorts, then the answer is no unless you wanted
to get involved in the species Microformat group...been there, done that and
quickly ran away.

	What you should really consider is having a programmatic way to
deliver your pages using a simple template. The elements on your page that
need to change from one species to the next or one presentation type to the
next can be fed using a database and programming language like PHP, ASP,
etc.

Hope this was the sort of thing you were chasing,

David P. Shorthouse
Department of Biological Sciences
CW-403, Biological Sciences Centre
University of Alberta