[Taxacom] Economist leader addressed to taxonomists

Geoff Read g.read at niwa.co.nz
Fri May 18 03:13:12 CDT 2007

If the Economist leader writer's example of primate subspecies to
species derived at some remove from the Isaac, Mallet & Mace taxonomic
inflation article in 2004, Tree 19(9):464-469, where there is a side box
on primates, then, as I read it, that wasn't what IMM actually said.
Their case in the box was principally that the phylogenetic species
concept had doubled the number of species, or, with a hint of
disapproval, 'inflated' it in their words.

IMM's opening two sentences in bold type in the paraphrase of the main
article (the known subspecies to species taxonomic inflation thing
again) has me perplexed. The 2nd sentence seems completely out of touch
with reality.

"Species numbers are increasing rapidly. This is due
mostly to taxonomic inflation, where known subspecies
are raised to species as a result in a change in species
concept, rather than to new discoveries."

Geoff
--
   Geoff Read <g.read at niwa.co.nz>
    http://www.annelida.net/