[Taxacom] Economist leader addressed to taxonomists

Fabian Haas fhaas at icipe.org
Fri May 18 04:24:15 CDT 2007

BioNet International and the German National Focal Point for the GTI
have collected cases studies where exact taxonomic work saved millions
Euros, and also People from starvation. This might be worthwile to to
include, and shows that dealing with minute differences is not a waste
of time.

EoL: good to here that publicity will increase, but still think it is a
good idea to pay contents provider and not only the computer people.
Somehow, content providers get less and less payed, eg images in portals
and journal are all to often not paid, but the journal dont come fro
free anyway...

Fabian

Roderic Page wrote:
> So, once again taxonomist's heckles are raised, and the response is
> "they don't understand how important we are!", "we don't have enough
> money!", etc.
>
> Is this the best way to respond, especially to this audience (leaving
> aside the issue of whether the article was justified or not)?
>
> Why not think about responding in terms the audience might
> appreciate? I wonder, for example, whether there are parallels
> between biologists making bad decisions based on misunderstanding
> relationships between organisms, and business failing because their
> supposedly homogeneous target market of, say, "teenagers", turned out
> to be highly heterogeneous (niche marketing, anyone?).
>
> One could even draw parallels with recent foreign policy decisions,
> based an appalling lack of understanding that "muslims" are not a
> homogeneous category.
>
> Complaining about money is a bit of a hard sell, given that EoL has
> been launched to such fanfare. Yes, I know it's not money for people
> in the trenches, but to have major charities committing money, flashy
> videos, and $US 100,000 promotion campaign (albeit "in kind"), and
> don't you think Economist readers will wonder what taxonomists are
> complaining about...
>
> Regards
>
> Rod
>

> On 18 May 2007, at 09:35, Maarten Christenhusz wrote:
>

>> Dear all,
>>
>> In reactoin to this article in the Economist, I think we would do
>> well to write a counter article from a variety of taxonomic fields
>> (both plants and animals, macro and micro organisms) to explain to
>> the Economist how important taxonomy is, what the differences are
>> from systematics and conservation biology, that taxonomy is the
>> basis of all biological studies, and that we are heavily
>> underfunded, probably because the discipline is heavily
>> misunderstood by the wider public. I would be very willing to
>> participate in this, but as a vascular plant scientist, my
>> knowledge on primates and the microbial world is limited. Shall we
>> write a counter article on taxonomy to the Economist? Who's with me?
>>
>> Maarten Christenhusz
>> Dept. of Biology, sect. Biodiversity
>> University of Turku
>> 20014 Turku
>> Finland
>> www.botanyphotos.net

FabianHaas2 at gmx.net, fhaas at icipe.org, Extension -2404

www.icipe.org
www.earwigs-online.de :: The Site on Earwig Biology
www.fabianhaas.de :: Personal Photo Website

Dr. Fabian Haas
c/o The International Centre of Insect Physiology and
Ecology
Duduville Campus, Kasarani
P.O. Box 30772 - 00100
N A I R O B I