[Taxacom] Economist leader addressed to taxonomists

David Patterson dpatterson at mbl.edu
Fri May 18 07:43:37 CDT 2007

Folks

I agree with Rod as to the tone of a response - and I do
believe one should be written.  Would Rod be willing to
write a first draft?

I would add two points.

The EOL is a major taxonomic initiative that has the
capacity to accelerate consensus, and therefore
consistency, stability, and discovery. This is the mature
response to the concerns of the 'what is a species' issue.

The response to EOL has been stunning, we have received
tens of thousands of positive enquiries, which gives us
another argument - that some of the comments in the
Economist grossly fail to represent prevailing opinions
and so are disengenuous.

The manipulative aspects of some of the points in the
Economist takes me back to Donat's mailing some time ago
of the pit bull - which I suspect has now become a real
issue.

David Patterson

David J Patterson
Encyclopedia of Life