[Taxacom] international biodiversity day

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Tue May 22 01:53:53 CDT 2007

Fabian Haas brought this to my attention:

Today is the "International Day for Biological Diversity"
http://www.cbd.int/programmes/outreach/awareness/biodiv-day-2007.shtml .

That this has hardly been picked up just explains the value of biodiversity
on the current political agenda and media interest. It is just not on the
radar anymore. Check in Google News (http://news.google.com/news?um=1
<http://news.google.com/news?um=1&tab=wn&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-15,GGGL
:en&q=%22International+Day+for+Biological+Diversity%22>
&tab=wn&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-15,GGGL:en&q=%22International+Day+for+Bi
ological+Diversity%22 ), there are only about 24 records (at 9am CET), of
which one is by the wire service Reuters. The recent acceptance of climate
change an the '8 year window' will certainly not help to foster the standing
of biodiversity but rather siphon away resources towards technical solution
in the battle against climate change. We better make sure we pool our
resources, provide access to our data through ingenious ways..even we need
to change, since we obviously failed.

Donat

Dr. Donat Agosti

Science Consultant

Research Associate, American Museum of Natural History and Naturmuseum der
Burgergemeinde Bern

Email: agosti at amnh.org

Web:  <http://antbase.org/> http://antbase.org

Blog:  <http://biodivcontext.blogspot.com/>