[Taxacom] Economist leader addressed to taxonomists: open access

Roger Hyam roger at hyam.net
Tue May 22 06:03:20 CDT 2007

Hi Everyone,

8. Add to all the specimen record a unique identifier, such as a doi, so
that in future arguments all the underlying data can be retrieved and
re-analysed to get at least this sore point in discussions out. Dito for
gene-sequences, morphological data, images..

I should point out that TDWG and GBIF are already working to build an
architecture based on globally unique identifiers for Specimens,
Taxon Names, Taxon Concepts and other classes of object that are of
significance to our understanding of biodiversity. For these objects
we favour the use of LSID - although we are not suggesting that they
will be the only form of GUID used in our community.

The root TDWG page for GUIDs is here:

http://www.tdwg.org/activities/guid/

There is a valuable summary of LSIDs (the result of a recent workshop
held in Australia)

http://wiki.tdwg.org/twiki/bin/view/GUID/AbfLsidMeetingExecSummary

Globally Unique Identifiers, metadata standards and exchange
protocols form the three legs on which a global biodiversity
informatics architecture is being built. TDWG is working to encourage
the adoption of standards in all three of these areas.

All the best,

Roger

    Roger Hyam <roger at tdwg.org>

    Biodiversity Information Standards: http://www.tdwg.org/

    "Working To Make Biodiversity Data Global"

    TDWG Standards Architecture: http://wiki.tdwg.org/twiki/bin/view/TAG
    LSID RDF Vocabularies: http://wiki.tdwg.org/twiki/bin/view/TAG/
LsidVocs