[Taxacom] Class Amphibia classification

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Fri May 25 22:00:26 CDT 2007

Dear All,
      I see that Tiktaalik was just mentioned in a new article in the New
Scientist as a fish with feet (another way of saying "fishapod").  See the
link at the bottom for that article.  I've tweaked my Amphibia
classification a bit and added a few more taxa.

     I should note that clade Lissamphibia (the last four Orders
Gymnophioniformes through Anuriformes) and its origins are still
controversial.  Some workers would still have it evolving from
Temnospondyliformes (which is how I coded it back in 1994).  Others might
even still think Lissamphibia is polyphyletic, with some modern taxa
evolving from temnospondyls and other modern taxa evolving from
lepospondyls.  If new phylogenetic analyses show that either of those other
possibilities are more likely, I would certainly recode the classification
to reflect it.  Not going to hold my breathe though.

          CLASS AMPHIBIA%

1  Ichthyostegiformes%
         1  Plesion Tiktaalik
         ?  Pl. Livoniana
         2  Elginerpetontidae
         ?  Pl. Ventastega
         ?  Pl. Metaxygnathus
         3  Pl. Densignathus
         4  Acanthostegidae
         5  Ichthyostegidae
         6  Pl. Hynerpeton
         7  Tulerpetontidae
         ?  Whatcheeriidae
         8  Crassigyrinidae
         ?  Colosteidae
         9  Baphetidae (= Loxommatidae)
        10  {{Temnospondyliformes, etc.}}

_1_  Temnospondyliformes
2  Embolomeriformes ("anthracosaurs")
3  Seymouriiformes
4  Pl. Solenodonsaurus
5  Pl. Westlothiana
B  {{Amniota}} (= Reptilia, thence to Mammalia and Aves)
6  Aistopodiformes
7  Nectriformes
8  Microsauriformes%
_1_ Lysorophiformes
2  Gymnophioniformes (caecilians)
3  Albanerpetontiformes (= Allocaudata)
4  Urodeliformes (salamanders and newts)
5  Anuriformes (= Salientia)
     Tiktaalik discussed in the following new article:

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/life/mg19426053.600-ancient-gene-kit-came-in-handy-for-limbs.html>