[Taxacom] ITS, Species 2000,[Scanned]

Paul Kirk p.kirk at cabi.org
Sun May 27 03:58:12 CDT 2007

ITIS might have 8% of publication references which will link to DOIs but what use are these links if the full text is sat behind pay-to-view resources like JSTOR ... fine in the ivory towers of Glasgow which presumably has a subscription but about as useful as an inflatable dartboard to many who use the CoL in most of the rest of the world who, like me, would find such a situation rather frustrating. Far better to wait until these references are free (BHL ... please lets have resolvable URL to the page images OUTSIDE the human interface) than spend time building these links to inaccessible resources.

Paul

p.s. Index Fungorum has about 12000 (4% of names) linked to page images (in a open archive) where original descriptions of names can be read and about 40% to the entry in the various printed indexes (50% of these with the original description and other data).