[Taxacom] ITS, Species 2000,[Scanned]

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Sun May 27 04:29:13 CDT 2007

There are two issues here, the first is having global identifiers
(GUIDs) for literature, the second is accessing that literature.

GUIDS give us some useful things:

1. If we have the same GUID we are talking about the same thing

- this is a step forward compared to trying to figure out if two
bibliographic citations (written in different formats) are, in fact,
the same. This is a major issue for databases -- if they store GUIDs
for references they become much more interoperable.

2. Given a GUID I can get metadata abut a reference

- CrossRef provides a tool for harvesting metadata about a DOI, which
makes assembling bibliographies easier

In my view these are important. By having GUIDs it means you and I
can work independently (say, by assembling links between names and
literature, then combine and merge that information simply by
combining and merging GUIDs. This makes working in a distributed
fashion possible.

And it also means that I can't wait for these GUIDs. They underpin
everything that I need to do (and, I suggest, much of what
biodiversity informatics aspires to create).

Regarding access, that is a completely separate issue (and even in my
ivory tower I don't have full access to everything in JSTOR).
However, I suggest that knowing that an electronic copy of the work
is available is at least a small step. BHL will not help matters
much, unless it goes after post 1923 stuff. I also think what
organisations like BHL, GBIF and EoL should think about is targeting
the huge amount of small museum and society literature that could be
digitised. Some of these journals (such as Psyche http://
psyche.entclub.org/ or the Raffles Bulletin of Zoology) are online,
but many aren't. I suspect there is much of value to be had in this
material.

Regards

Rod

Professor Roderic D. M. Page