[Taxacom] ITS, Species 2000,[Scanned]

Weitzman, Anna WEITZMAN at si.edu
Sun May 27 17:17:59 CDT 2007

Hi Mary,
There is a group of people working on such standards for Biodiversity Informatics and making them widely available as soon as they are set and posting them in a single place so that the community will know about them.  That group is called TDWG (Biodiversity Information Standards (formerly Taxonomic Databases Working Group)).  TDWG regularly announces its annual meetings, working groups and available standards on list servs, especially Taxacom.  See www.tdwg.org for more information.

I encourage you and anyone else interested in these standards to join TDWG (membership is a fairly minimal fee), sign up for the TDWG mailing list, and attend meetings.  I especially encourage working taxonomists to take a larger role.  There are relatively few taxonomists who are active participants, and I believe that sometimes our needs as users are less well voiced than they should be when most of the people in the room are informaticists.

Cheers,
Anna

Anna L. Weitzman, PhD
Botany and Biodiversity Informatics Research
National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution

202.633.0846
weitzman at si.edu