[Taxacom] ITS, Species 2000,[Scanned]

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Mon May 28 04:31:40 CDT 2007

Hi Mary,

Anna covered much of what my response would have been; but I did want to
point out one resource that you might find helpful:

http://wiki.tdwg.org/twiki/bin/view/GUID/WebHome

And, in particular:

http://www.tdwg.org/uploads/media/LSIDs_for_Biologists.pdf

The TDWG/GBIF community has agreed to adopt LSIDs as an initial GUID
solution, to allow everyone to start moving forward with software
development.  All GUID schemes have pros and cons, and there seems to be no
perfect solution.  But LSIDs are relatively easy and straightforward, and
don't cost anything.

As for workshops, most of the technologies and standards are not well
implemented yet.  DiGIR and DarwinCore were an exception to this (i.e., your
reference to workshops on how to expose data to GBIF), which is why it was
appropriate to spread the word widely on that one.  The time will come
(soon, I hope) when other standards have stabilized enough to perform
similar outreach efforts to help people get on board.  From my perspective,
though, doing so now would be premature, both because the standards
themselves are not quite solidified, and because there are not sufficient
"turn-key" software applications (as there essentially was for DiGIR
operating on DarwinCore datasets) to be useful to most data content holders.
As Anna said, there is clear progress being made, and it feels much closer
to reality now than it did a year ago, and a quantum leap forward compared
with five years ago.  These are indeed exciting times to be both a database
nerd and a taxonomy nerd.

Aloha,
Rich

Richard L. Pyle, PhD
Database Coordinator for Natural Sciences
  and Associate Zoologist in Ichthyology
Department of Natural Sciences, Bishop Museum
1525 Bernice St., Honolulu, HI 96817
Ph: (808)848-4115, Fax: (808)847-8252
email: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org