[Taxacom] ITIS, Species 2000, etc.

David Remsen dremsen at gbif.org
Wed May 30 10:37:36 CDT 2007

Dear G.B. Edwards

Your suggestion is complementary to one of the outcomes of a meeting held
in February in Crete.  This meeting, dubbed Nomina 1, was sponsored by
GBIF, the fledgling EOL Informatics efforts, and MarBef/PROPE Taxon.
Attendees included representatives of the Catalogue of Life partnership,
some of the COLP providers of global species datasets, various
nomenclators, TDWG, and potential users of taxonomic and nomenclatural
information.  This group was representative of the sort of agencies and
actors who seek to provide, exchange, collate, and use taxonomic
information.

Among the outcomes was a desire to develop a meta-catalog of taxonomic and
nomenclatural resources of those who may be sources of authoritative
information.  It would include the sort of resource (or initiative)-level
information you refer but would include the capacity to provide the
catalog with indices of names treated by these initiatves and pointers to
relevant records.  These initiatives might also present the means by which
they serve their data to potential data consumers and the catalogue could
also provide links to tools that enable such provision.

A goal of such a catalog is to facilitate discovery of, and access to,
taxonomic information in a manner that balances utility with attribution
and support of providers.   So knowing what initiatives are out there and
how they inter-relate is really important. It would enable the Catalogue
of Life to identify potential global species dataset providers.  It would
give taxonomic initiatives a means to identify their taxonomic resources
within a global context.  It would provide EOL and GBIF with a common
framework for pursuing common objectives.

I like your idea of an included glossary of acronyms and I could forsee it
expanding to  address other terms and concepts that seem to lead to
regular miscommunication.

GBIF and the Encyclopedia of Life are interested in developing a version
of such an index and plan to pursue this more seriously as EOL moves into
operation.  If you, and anyone else, is interested in further discussion I
would love to be included.

Best wishes,
David Remsen

Senior Programme Officer
Electronic Catalog of Names of Known Organisms
Global Biodiversity Information Facility Secretariat
Universitetsparken 15, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Tel: +45-35321472   Fax: +45-35321480