[Taxacom] Stewartia or Stuartia (Theaceae)?

Weitzman, Anna WEITZMAN at si.edu
Wed May 30 14:02:28 CDT 2007

Hi John,
You already know my opinion on this, but I'll say it again for the benefit of the list.

Since Linnaeus used the same spelling repeatedly from Species plantarum, ed. 1 until his death, I don't see that this can reasonably be interpreted as an error.  I think that it is more likely that Linnaeus chose that spelling for a reason (what reason appears to be lost in time).  With generic names in particular, I agree with Dan Nicolson that it is better to retain the original spelling unless there is a very good reason.  I simply don't a very good reason here (perhaps partly because I know that Stewart and Stuart were fairly interchangeable in Scotland for some centuries).

Most of the modern literature that consistently uses the spelling "Stuartia" is horticultural.

The modern taxonomic literature including Airy-Shaw, Index Nominum Genericorum, and Mabberly all use "Stewartia".  The taxonomic literature from the US and from China (where the genus is native) both have used Stewartia consistently.  In the US, this includes monographs by Kobuski (1951) and Spongberg (1974) and family level analyses by Prince (in press) and Stevens et al (in Kubitzki) 2004.

In China, this includes various works by Ye Chuang-xing (1982, 1984, 1990), Chang Hung-ta, and Ming Tien-lu have used the spelling "Stewartia".  Also, the Flora of China (both the Chinese and English versions--the latter in draft form) have used that spelling.

Cheers,
Anna

Anna L. Weitzman, PhD
Botany and Biodiversity Informatics Research
National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution

202.633.0846
weitzman at si.edu