[Taxacom] Are species real? Doesn't matter.

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Thu May 31 11:36:42 CDT 2007

>I think we have the nominalism/realism divide here in taxonomy, with
>alpha taxonomists worrying and arguing over their interpretations,
>preferring to always cite alternative concepts, while databasers (e.g.
>EoL) deal with what they prefer to consider real things, one of each.
>Oh, sure, we are all scientific realists of a sort, but differ in what
>we worry about.

It matters to more than just practicing taxonomists and "databasers",
and I think you are downplaying how vastly asymmetrical the dichotomy
is here; there are far, FAR more people in the world whose need for
taxonomic information requires it to be as consistent, objective, and
unambiguous as possible. For one of the simplest such observations,
and one close at hand, is the fact that every specimen in every
museum in the world that has been identified to species is filed
under a single name. I have yet to see an institution that maintains
specimens in multiple places in their collection if there are
multiple alternative opinions as to what name should be applied. It
is also true that there are probably no two institutions in existence
who have the same names applied to ALL of the taxa that they have in
common; that is why a "rosetta stone" taxonomic resource is essential
to the future of collections-based research - so multiple collections
can compare their holdings and accurately assess where they overlap
and where they differ, without being thrown off by idiosyncrasies
introduced by alternative classifications.

If you wish to draw analogies, then why not use quantum physics? It's
fine for some people to think about an electron as a cloud of energy
whose location and definition in space/time is probabilistic, but for
most people, they need to treat it as a particle.

Sincerely,