[Taxacom] Microformats (was: The Lacewing Digital Library: a new web resource for insects of the orders Neuroptera, Megaloptera and Raphidioptera)

Markku Savela msa at moth.iki.fi
Sat Nov 3 08:18:37 CDT 2007

> From: Andy Mabbett <taxcam at pigsonthewing.org.uk>
>

> Briefly, microformats are a way of using HTML classes, with
> commonly-agreed class names, to describe existing web content, so that
> tools such as browser plug-ins can extract that data and re-use it. For
> example, showing coordinates on a map, adding contact details to address
> books, and adding events to calendars - or looking up taxonomic names in
> databases, image repositories, etc.; and adding them to recording
> software.

I'm always interested in considering the use of such things, if they
do not cause the page size to explode, e.g. the formats should be
compact. On my site, (http://www.funet.fi/pub/sci/bio/life/), some
pages are quite large, and even minor increase of markup length can
have significant impact (for example, the page for Papilio is already
way too large!)

I'm already "almost using" such markup, but only for formatting
purposes. You can take a look at the comment on the beginning of the
style sheel (for microformats, only the SPAN's are relevant):

  http://www.funet.fi/pub/sci/bio/life/life.css

However, to get compact, I prefer just to have one format for all
scientific names (SPAN CLASS=SN), and the content of this span is
always

where author and reference may contain markup, and may also be
omitted. Thus, the result is not always easily parsable, as you can
see from the following example:

1938; <i>Entomologist's Rec. J. Var. </i>50 (Suppl.) (9): 5,
<b>TL</b>: Greece, Olympus, S. Dionisia, 800m</SPAN>

The common names are more closer to the microformat:

Example: