[Taxacom] Consider using the draft "species" microformat...

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sat Nov 3 15:57:25 CDT 2007

In message <472CB57A.7050400 at utoronto.ca>, Tim Dickinson
<tim.dickinson at utoronto.ca> writes

>i can learn a lot about effective web design from recent posts, but
>what connection if any is there between the draft "species" microformat
>and standards developed by TDWG? these seem to be trying to do similar
>things, so if they're converging that would be good to know. likewise,
>if this is a dumb question. thanks, ---tad.

It seems to me that they're doing very different things.

The microformat aims to make taxonomic names within the content of
published web pages discoverable to parsing tools.

How do TDWG standards try to do that?

there may indeed be scope for some convergence (using common terms, for
instance); there is an open invitation for anyone - from TDWG or
elsewhere - to contribute to the emerging microformat standard.

--
Andy Mabbett

            *  Are you using Microformats, yet: <http://microformats.org/> ?