[Taxacom] Taxonomy and phylogeny of the cultivated Aloe

Heike Vibrans heike at colpos.mx
Mon Nov 26 14:46:06 CST 2007

Well, what we think is Aloe vera certainly occurs naturalized here in
Mexico, and is included in Floras. I personally consider it is a
rather invasive plant in arid regiones. It can cover whole hills
around here en some areas. You can look at pictures of populations at
the Weeds of Mexico website at
http://www.conabio.gob.mx/malezasdemexico/asphodelaceae/aloe-vera/fichas/pagina1.htm

Also, we have another redorange-flowered Aloe which is not quite as
common, but also found in the wild, which I haven't identified yet.
You can see pictures at
http://jehuite.blogspot.com/2007/10/plantas-exticas-en-pea-de-bernal.html

If somebody out there knows what it is, a short e-mail to my address
would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Heike

> (7) It seems generally agreed that Aloe vera is never found in the
>wild
> (it is the only Aloe species not CITES-appendicized!). It is
>therefore
> usually not included in floras, not even in comprehensive ones like
>Flora of Egypt or Flora of Ethiopia. Are modern (newer than Reynolds
> 1950 and 1966) detailed descriptions of A. vera and other
>economically
> important Aloes available anywhere?
Dra. Heike Vibrans Lindemann
Laboratorio de Etnobotánica
Postgrado en Botánica
Campus Montecillo
Colegio de Postgraduados en Ciencias Agrícolas
km 35.5 Carretera Federal México-Texcoco
56230 Montecillo
Estado de México, Mexico

La flora interactiva de las malezas de México:
http://www.malezasdemexico.net/
Blog:
http://jehuite.blogspot.com
Página web:
http://www.colpos.mx/IRENAT/bot/HeikeVibransLindemann.htm

Tel. +52 (595) 95 20 200 Ext. 1335 (directo), 1300 (dirección)
Fax. +52 (595) 95 20 247
Correo electrónico: heike at colpos.mx (trabajo),
heike_texcoco at yahoo.com.mx