[Taxacom] Got Arachnophobia? Here's Your Worst Nightmare

Robin Leech releech at telusplanet.net
Sat Sep 1 12:09:52 CDT 2007

Hi Donat,

No one has yet told us what spiders are making the webs, but in 1967 in
Mexico, I saw many roadside bushes decorated like this by araneid spiders.
The masses of webs went on for hundreds of metres.
I was told then that this is a defensive mechanism to make it hard for a
hymenopteran predator/prasite to get at the spiders and/or their eggs.

There are social spiders, genus Stegodiphus, in the Old World, but not
in the New World.

Robin