[Taxacom] The spider and the slug

Jan Bosselaers dochterland at pandora.be
Mon Sep 3 01:49:19 CDT 2007

Dear Taxacomers,

Many thanks to all who replied on this. I got quite a few tips this way
(thanks for the novocaine tip!)
A brief summary:
The slug may be a juvenile Laevicaulis sp.
The spider is Oxyopes sp., not identifiable to species due to lack of
revision of the 80+ afrotropical species. The palp was removed by me for
photography.
It is theoretically possible that Oxyopes, with its varied diet, eats
molluscs. Or the male spider might be attracted by pheromones, or by
mites living on the slug. On the other hand, I also find it possible
that it was already dead and just stuck to the slug. I do not remember
the spider moving. But unfortunately, I did not pay much attention to
that: after taking some photographs, I fixed the lot in 70% ethanol and
tried to save my things on a partially flooded camping place with
grazing hippopotamus nearby...

Best regards,

Jan