[Taxacom] The spider and the slug

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 3 21:13:46 CDT 2007

Jan,
     Intestesting!!!  I hadn't thought of ectoparasites (like mites)
attracting the spider.  If so, it would be sort like a "La Brea Tar Pit" (in
miniature) in the slime on the back of a slug.  :-)

     I don't really have much doubt that the spider was probably dead when
you found it, but its upright position still makes me think it was attracted
by "something" and actally jumped on the slug, whether the attraction was
pheromones, small prey (ectoparasites), or large prey (the slug itself).  If
so, it made a big mistake and paid the price.  But can't rule out the
possibility that it was already dead and just happened to fall on the slug
in an upright and life-like position.
     -----Ken Kinman