[Taxacom] ad hoc manipulation

John Grehan jgrehan at sciencebuff.org
Wed Sep 5 07:39:59 CDT 2007

I was interested to recently read that mtDNA  analysis in 1997 had put
monotremes with marsupials, but because that was such an abbearation
some other molecular systematists decided to try nuclear IGF2R sequences
and got placentals and marsupials to the exclusion of monotremes so
everyone was happy. I am interested to know of any similar examples as
it shows how morphology, when so contradictory to molecular results, can
and does result in re-analysis of molecular evidence to get the "right"
answer. This is pertinent to my interests since the human-chimpanzee
relationship is very strongly contradicted by morphology, but no one (to
all intents and purposes) is willing to accept the possibility that the
molecular evidence is wrong in this case.

For over three months I have had an article in review that has a
cladistic analysis of the morphological evidence showing that the
orangutan-human relationship is the best supported model. The editor was
not at all happy to see the molecular evidence being challenged and said
he would ensure a fair review.

John Grehan

Dr. John R. Grehan

Director of Science and Collections

Buffalo Museum of Science1020 Humboldt Parkway

Buffalo, NY 14211-1193

email: jgrehan at sciencebuff.org

Phone: (716) 896-5200 ext 372

Panbiogeography