[Taxacom] Lumping and Splitting

Beach, James H beach at ku.edu
Thu Sep 6 13:03:53 CDT 2007

Lumping and splitting will always be with us, I fear, whatever one's
classificatory philosophy.  To quote Davis and Heywood:

"Short of the death penalty, there will always be lumpers and
splitters. Splitting tends to be accentuated by age, a characters of
the malaise being that the sufferer seldom admits that he is a
splitter."

Peter Stevens

--------

Hmm.

Professor John Beaman of Michigan State University and lately active at
Kew, always held:

"The more you know, the more you lump."

So, I think we could use that to counter Davis and Heywood (which Beaman
used in his taxonomy courses) and seed a food fight, but be warned,
anyone who is a closet lumper and rails against the lumping lifestyle,
risks being outed!

Jim B.

James H. Beach
Biodiversity Research Center