[Taxacom] eol in nature [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Fri Sep 7 03:49:09 CDT 2007

I appreciate your points on this Jim, but I also think it's important for
us, as scientists, to recognize that these media releases aren't targeted at
us.  In my mind, EoL is much, much more than just cross-linking names.  It's
about cross-linking (and intelligently organizing) huge amounts of
information.  Most of this information already exists, and hence might be
considered "regurgitated".  But a great deal of it either does not exist in
an easily searchable digital form, or if it does exist as such, it is so
widely distributed and disconnected as to be excruciating and time-consuming
to organise and access.  But a lot of this is too subtle and complex to
communicate to a lay public.  To get the key point across, it's often
necessary to over-simplify.  The details may be "iffy", but the fundamental
message is (more or less) on target.  And the fundamental message is the
only bit that most people will remember.

Scientists are excellent communicators when exchanging ideas and information
with other scientists.  But for the most part, we collectively suck at
trying to explain these things to the general public. Although I haven't
seen the film myself yet, I understand that "A Flock of Dodos"
(http://www.flockofdodos.com/) makes this point very clearly.

So...I guess my point is, the informatics issue goes much deeper than simply
sorting out names and synonomies, and the people working on the informatics
know this full well.  But the very act of trying to explain the difference
between a "taxon name" and a "taxon concept" to the vast majority of people
"out there" (you know -- the ones who elect our leaders and ultimately
direct national priorities) is very likely a lost cause -- at least at this
point in history.

Aloha,
Rich