[Taxacom] eol in nyt

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Fri Sep 7 05:15:03 CDT 2007

Nobody is arguing that EoL will solve all the problems -- or even most of
the problems.  My only argument is that it would (or at least could) help
more than hurt.  And the notion that the money that is to be spent on EoL
being redirected to fieldwork or other areas that we perceive as higher
priority is, as far as I understand it, pure fallacy (see Taxacom thread
here:
http://mailman.nhm.ku.edu/pipermail/taxacom/2007-May/thread.html#25481)

Fair point on most new species not being in Museums; but again, it's a
start. Actually, I'm increasingly of the belief that "most" new species (by
far) aren't even eukaryotes -- part of Wilson's reference to the "dark
matter of the bisophere" -- but that's a discussion for another thread, on
another day.

And...one final point that I didn't make before (mostly because even I, with
my cheery optimism, won't believe it until I see it) is that EoL at least
has the *potential* to raise the level of awareness of the need for
biodiversity cataloging among the general public consciousness.  Maybe (JUST
maybe) that could eventually transfer to the national agendas of money-rich
governements, which might (JUST might) further translate into more funding,
more job positions, and perhaps even more field-based collecting.

O.K., so that may be a stretch.  But I still maintain that the potential for
good exceeds the potential for harm, overall. And that includes the
acceleration of documenting new species.

Aloha,
Rich