[Taxacom] eol in nyt

B.J.Tindall bti at dsmz.de
Fri Sep 7 05:42:42 CDT 2007

Rich,
One should never put off until tomorrow what one
can do today. With a recent article in Science
indicating that the genome of a prokaryote has
been incoprorated into a eukaryote, the role of
microbes on this planet takes on new dimensions.
We see previously little appreciated diversity of
major groups of prokaryotes in the oceans or in
the soil. Some of the most basic mineral
recycling is a task reserved for
prokaryotes....etc. etc. In essence one could say
that without the contribution of microroganisms
this planet would grind to a standstill, and we
still know precious little about their diversity,
or what roles they play in maintaining ecosystems
for the "bigger boys". Just a thought.....
Brian

At 12:15 07.09.07, Richard Pyle wrote:
>Fair point on most new species not being in Museums; but again, it's a
>start. Actually, I'm increasingly of the belief that "most" new species (by
>far) aren't even eukaryotes -- part of Wilson's reference to the "dark
>matter of the bisophere" -- but that's a discussion for another thread, on
>another day.
>
>Aloha,
>Rich

Dr.B.J.Tindall
DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von Mikro-
organismen und Zellkulturen GmbH
Inhoffenstra├če 7B
38124 Braunschweig
Germany
Tel. ++49 531-2616-224
Fax  ++49 531-2616-418
http://www.dsmz.de
Director: Prof. Dr. Erko Stackebrandt
Local court: Braunschweig HRB 2570
Chairman of the management board: MR Dr. Axel Kollatschny

DSMZ - A member of the Leibniz Association (WGL)