[Taxacom] Lumping and Splitting

Adolf Ceska aceska at telus.net
Fri Sep 7 12:08:17 CDT 2007

This discussion started as a problem with lumping and splitting at the GENUS
level. I believe that this kind of splitting can be understood by any
botanist, since it does not take too much to understand various genus names.

One thing that bother me, though, is mixing generic splitting with generic
lumping in one major work, such as in the Flora of North America (FNA). My
gut feeling tells me that Schoenoplectus subterminalis is rather odd in its
assigned genus Schoenoplectus (in this case an unlucky split from the genus
Scirpus), and I feel reluctant to call Loiseleuria procumbens "Kalmia
procumbens" (lumping for the sake of lumping). I guess that the FNA editors
face the impossible task to deal with a large group of the contributing
authorities.

Adolf Ceska, Victoria, BC, Canada