[Taxacom] eol in nyt

Bob Mesibov mesibov at southcom.com.au
Fri Sep 7 18:44:49 CDT 2007

Richard Pyle wrote:

"And the notion that the money that is to be spent on EoL
being redirected to fieldwork or other areas that we perceive as higher
priority is, as far as I understand it, pure fallacy."

It sure is. EOL money will be spent indoors. Now read again what Wilson
wrote for the general public:

"[EOL] should make it possible to discover the remaining 90 percent of
species in far less than 250 years, perhaps only one-tenth that time, a
single human generation", and "[EOL] will accelerate the discovery of
the unknown species".

Whether or not you believe that EOL and other compilation projects will
be of enormous or only limited benefit, none of them connect to the real
world of disappearing biodiversity, despite the hype.
--
Dr Robert Mesibov
Honorary Research Associate, Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery

Australian millipedes checklist
http://www.qvmag.tas.gov.au/zoology/millipedes/index.html
Tasmanian multipedes
http://www.qvmag.tas.gov.au/zoology/multipedes/mulintro.html