[Taxacom] eol in nyt

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Fri Sep 7 19:43:15 CDT 2007

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.  I think, as Wilson's quote
implies, that projects like EoL (and GBIF,a nd others) will help those of us
who spend time in the field hunting for new species. And, in turn (as well
as through other avenues), will directly benefit the real world of
disappearing biodiversity. Ten times faster?  I doubt it -- but the power of
public awareness can do amazing things sometimes.

My comment about fallacy is in response to earlier critics who asked, "Why
not just spend the money directly on supporting taxonomy?"  My response to
that question (even if it were an option... which, as I said, is fallacy) is
detailed here:

http://mailman.nhm.ku.edu/pipermail/taxacom/2007-May/025542.html

Aloha,
Rich