[Taxacom] Journal database

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Mon Sep 10 07:18:17 CDT 2007

I'm building a database of journal names, abbreviations, and ISSN
(International Standard Serial Number), mainly to help my reference
parsing tools that David Shorthouse alluded to in an earlier post
(see also http://ispiders.blogspot.com/2007/08/gimme-that-scientific-
paper-part-iii.html).

As many of you know, there are all manner of abbreviations for
journal names in existence, so trying to automatically paper
bibliographic citations can be a nightmare. I've created a simple
search form for my database (http://bioguid.info/journal.php ). If
you enter a journal name or abbreviation it will try and find a
match, and displays a list of what it found, ranked by a score.

I'd welcome any feedback (e.g., journals not found, incorrect
matches), as well as any electronic lists people may have of
abbreviations. The bulk of the database was seeded by data from
PubMed, but this obviously doesn't cover a lot of taxonomic journals.
The better this journal database, the better the reference parsing
tools will become.

Regards

Rod

Professor Roderic D. M. Page