[Taxacom] holotype for sale

Karl Magnacca kmagnacca at alumni.wesleyan.edu
Tue Sep 11 19:13:08 CDT 2007

On Tue, September 11, 2007 3:44 pm, Hans Henderickx wrote:
> A specimen of 'the oldest mushroom in the world, Entroperites patricii',
> is on eBay now, according to the picture with the advertisement it is the
> holotype itself.
>
> The starting bid is $100.000, a bargain of course, but can a named and
> published holotype be offered for sale right after it's description?
>
> Does anyone have the original description in The British Mycological
> Society, especially the part concerning the type deposit?

The citation is Poinar, G.O., and R. Buckley. Evidence of mycoparasitism
and hypermycoparasitism in Early Cretaceous amber. Mycological Research
111(4):503-506 (I'll send you the pdf off-list).  It says the type was
deposited in the "Ron Buckley amber collection, Florence, Kentucky".
Unless there's something in the code that requires it to be in a publicly
accessible collection, I guess that means he can do whatever he wants with
it.

Given that a) the name is misspelled: it's actually Entropezites patricii;
b) the journal is Mycological Research, not Entomological Research
Magazine; and c) the mushroom in the picture is Palaeoagaracites antiquus,
E. patricii is only represented by very small hyphae, it sounds
*extremely* fishy to me.  Just the fact that they're getting amber from
Burma/Myanmar at all is a little suspicious.  Poinar and Buckley have
described several other old things in amber, including an ancient soldier
beetle just a couple of weeks ago, as described here:
http://tinyurl.com/2bzhyd.  But neither is a mycologist (Poinar is a
nematologist and Buckley is a nurse, both interested in amber), and there
are no mycologists on the paper (though two are mentioned in the
acknowledgements as helping with IDs).

Karl
Karl Magnacca, UC-Berkeley
ESPM Dept., 137 Mulford Hall #3114