[Taxacom] holotype for sale

Karl Magnacca kmagnacca at alumni.wesleyan.edu
Tue Sep 11 21:17:06 CDT 2007

On Tue, September 11, 2007 6:13 pm, Ken Kinman wrote:

> If the picture on EBAY is of something else, I suspect they will suspend
> the auction anyway, and that Mr. Buckley is going to a lot of flack over
> it from both EBAY and the scientific community.

The picture is correct (I think it kind of adds insult to injury that it's
the same as Fig. 1A in the paper), but the mushroom - which, if the paper
is correct, is indeed the oldest known - is Palaeoagaracites antiquus,
which is covered in the parasitic fungus Mycetophagites atrebora, which in
turn is hyperparasitized by Entropezites patricii.  The last, which is
what it's being advertised as, is probably the most scientifically
significant but just looks like some very, very tiny structures inside the
Mycetophagites hyphae that I as a non-mycologist would probably take no
notice of whatsoever.

Karl
Karl Magnacca, UC-Berkeley
ESPM Dept., 137 Mulford Hall #3114