[Taxacom] holotype for sale

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 11 21:20:01 CDT 2007

     This is even more outrageous that I first thought.  All three specimens
in this fossil are apparently not only new species, but new genera.  You
would get three holotypes in one.  I'd be tempted pay $100 myself just to
get such a specimen to a public institution, but I get the impression EBAY
expects a minimum bid of $100,000.  Besides, I don't understand why Buckley
would advertize the specimen under the name of the hyperparasite (spelled
correctly or not) rather than the mushroom anyway.

     I truly find it hard to believe that Poinar had any part in this
attempted sale.  The whole thing sort of reminds me of the Keystone cops.
It would actually be funny if it weren't so ridiculous.