[Taxacom] holotype for sale

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 11 22:07:00 CDT 2007

Hi Neal,
     Well, those are two really huge "IFS".  But just for the sake of
argument, whatever Buckley did with the money is probably not quite as
important as the fact there is no telling whether someone rich enough to buy
it at $100,000 would squirrel it away as a private "show-and-tell piece"
(not available to further scientific study) or donate it to a museum.

     Anyway, I can't imagine that any reputable journal would ever again
publish anything connected with Buckley again, especially if new taxa were
involved.  I really would be interested to know if the Botanical Code has
anything to say about such an outrageous sale of not one, but three
holotypes.  Would these three species and genera still be valid if the only
specimens weren't available for further scientific study?
   ----Ken