[Taxacom] holotype for sale

B.J.Tindall bti at dsmz.de
Wed Sep 12 03:21:47 CDT 2007

One of the advantages of being able to have types
that can be stored in such a way that they can be
re-grown is that one can send out "bits" of the
same type all over the world, without ever having
to loose the type material in the original
location. In such cases having potentialy viable
types has it's advantages. Given various problems
over the past decades the Bacteriological Code
now has the deposit of type material covered by
Rules rather than recommendations and we will
probably be tightening them up to try to ensure
that type material is always available.

Brian

At 08:58 12.09.07, Paul van Rijckevorsel wrote:
>From: "Yves Samyn" <yves.samyn at naturalsciences.be>
>- codes of nomenclature do not mind on where exactly types are
>deposited; as long as they are accessible to the (scientific) public
>for further study.
>
>***
>The botanical Code does not require even that: it is a recommendation only
>(Rec. 7A).
>
>For recent names there is a requirement to specify where the type is
>conserved (Art 37.7; was St. Louis 37.6):
>
>37.7.  For the name of a new species or infraspecific taxon published on or
>after 1 January 1990 of which the type is a specimen or unpublished illus-
>tration, the single herbarium or collection or institution in which the type
>is conserved must be specified.
>
>So, that leaves the question if the
>"Ron Buckley amber collection, Florence, Kentucky" can be considered
>"the single ... collection ... in which the type is conserved"
>
>Paul

Dr.B.J.Tindall
DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von Mikro-
organismen und Zellkulturen GmbH
Inhoffenstra├če 7B
38124 Braunschweig
Germany
Tel. ++49 531-2616-224
Fax  ++49 531-2616-418
http://www.dsmz.de
Director: Prof. Dr. Erko Stackebrandt
Local court: Braunschweig HRB 2570
Chairman of the management board: MR Dr. Axel Kollatschny

DSMZ - A member of the Leibniz Association (WGL)