[Taxacom] Spelling help sought

Thomas G. Lammers lammers at uwosh.edu
Wed Sep 12 15:01:10 CDT 2007

At 02:41 PM 9/12/2007, john.steel at botany.otago.ac.nz wrote:
>I have been asked for an explanation for the use of 'rachis' v.
>'rhachis'.  Stace uses
>'rhachis', but I seldom see it spelled this way today.  .

Without looking or knowing much Greek, I think the original Greek root had
a "spiritus asper" (a rough exhalation) on the initial "rho".  The spiritus
asper is supposed to be transliterated as an "h" but this often was often
ignored.

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Associate Professor and Curator of the Herbarium (OSH)
Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA

e-mail:       lammers at uwosh.edu