[Taxacom] Spelling help sought

Jan Bosselaers dochterland at pandora.be
Wed Sep 12 15:54:46 CDT 2007

This is indeed correct. In Stearn's Botanical Latin we read: "The Greeak
"rachis" ("spine, bacbone, ridge", used by Theophrastus for the midrib
of an oak leaf) should properly be transliterated as rhachis, but has so
commonly been rendered as rachis...that retention or omission of the h
is optional in all these..."

Jan Bosselaers