[Taxacom] Spelling help sought

Algologia Algologia at telia.com
Thu Sep 13 13:14:00 CDT 2007

The ancient Greek 'p[h]axis' where '[h]' stands for the aspirated
Greek 'p' (to support a hoarse pronunciation) is no longer present in
the modern Greek 'paxis' and hence the different latinized
orthographies rhachis vs rachis (spine, back, edge).
Both are apparently common in botanical Latin, according to Stearn,
and both are grammatically correct (ancient vs modern usage).

'P[h]axis' or 'paxis', genitive 'p[h]ax-i(e)os', is declined
similarly as opsis (ops-eos), and hopefully none will propose
anything else for r(h)achis claiming botanical tradition.