[Taxacom] selling names to save the planet

Piotr Naskrecki pluviasilva at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 11:22:56 CDT 2007

Donat Agosti wrote:

 [...]Since Conservaton International is member of the Conservation Commons,
I also wonder, what CI is doing to provide open access to not only the
publication, but the entire data collected during this and in fact all of
their expedition. A benchmark we actually could measure is when such CI data
is accessible through GBIF.[...]

All data collected by CI during its surveys is, and has always been,
publicly, freely accessible, both as formatted reports, which can be
downloaded as PDFs
<http://science.conservation.org/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=475&mode=2&
in_hi_userid=122818&cached=true>, and as "raw" data
<http://140.247.119.145/rap/>, which also can be downloaded as data files.
Now it is up to GBIF to make a link to these data.

Cheers,
Piotr
Piotr Naskrecki, Ph. D.
Director of Invertebrate Diversity Initiative
(http://www.smallermajority.org)
Conservation International
(http://www.conservation.org)
Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University
26 Oxford Street, Cambridge, MA 02138
Phone: (617) 496-8179; Fax: (617) 495-5667

"It is a quirk of human nature that people only appreciate what they
understand" M.K. Seely

Taxonomy and Collection Manager software (http://140.247.119.145/mantis)

Insect Photography (http://www.insectphotography.com)

Orthoptera Species File Online - a database of Katydids of the World Online
(http://www.tettigonia.com)

Insect Type Database at MCZ, Harvard
(http://mcz-28168.oeb.harvard.edu/mcztypedb.htm)