[Taxacom] inapplicability of mtDNA barcoding to insects

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Thu Sep 27 12:07:09 CDT 2007

This may be old news to many, but I just came across this paper today:

T.L. Whitworth, R.D. Dawson, H. Magalon, E. Baudry (2007) DNA
barcoding cannot reliably identify species of the blowfly genus
Protocalliphora (Diptera: Calliphoridae). Proceedings of the Royal
Society B: 274: 1731-1739
[http://www.journals.royalsoc.ac.uk/content/tu21831k825kv655]

This excerpt from the abstract is pretty remarkable:

Here, we investigated the performance of barcoding in a sample
comprising 12 species of the blow fly genus Protocalliphora, known to
be infected with the endosymbiotic bacteria Wolbachia. We found that
the barcoding approach showed very limited success: assignment of
unknown individuals to species is impossible for 60% of the species,
while using the technique to identify new species would underestimate
the species number in the genus by 75%. This very low success of the
barcoding approach is due to the non-monophyly of many of the species
at the mitochondrial level. We even observed individuals from four
different species with identical barcodes, which is, to our
knowledge, the most extensive case of mtDNA haplotype sharing yet
described. The pattern of Wolbachia infection strongly suggests that
the lack of within-species monophyly results from introgressive
hybridization associated with Wolbachia infection. Given that
Wolbachia is known to infect between 15 and 75% of insect species, we
conclude that identification at the species level based on
mitochondrial sequence might not be possible for many insects.

I'm curious to know how many other studies have come to similar
conclusions, and how the barcoding community is responding to this
EXTREMELY serious issue - it could potentially invalidate almost
every barcoding study ever performed with insects (a brief glance at
a few such studies indicates that screening for Wolbachia is not part
of barcoding protocol).

Sincerely,