[Taxacom] Discarding herbarium specimens

Steve Manning sdmanning at asub.edu
Fri Sep 28 16:33:57 CDT 2007

Hello all,

Well it's Friday afternoon and I don't have anything better to do so
thought I would see if anyone has any inputs on something that has
been concerning me for some time: What, if any, is the consensus on
appropriate policies for when to discard herbarium specimens?

This was stimulated by a student worker actually who took it upon
himself to discard some specimens he thought were "worthless" or
"trash" from our very small, limited herbarium which is used for
teaching purposes only at this point.  I thought the appropriateness
of that was questionable, not so much based on the quality of the
specimens as just that people didn't do that once specimens are
either dried awaiting mounting and identification or already mounted
but perhaps lacking flowers or fruits.  I was going to tell him so,
but then realized that I actually never had heard a discussion of
policies on this issue, so didn't make a big issue of it especially
as I had just assumed this would not happen so never had said not to
do it.  But I would be more comfortable if we could articulate a
definite policy in this area based on people's experiences
elsewhere.  Most of the specimens are collected by inexperienced
students during a once-a-semester General Botany exercise in which
they go out grab things and then put them through the process of
mounting and depositing in our herbarium cabinets, some with
preliminary partial identifications.

Among the issues I see are:

(1) Who decides what stays and what goes (a) in general and (b) when
space runs out in a herbarium owing to new collections?

(2) What are the bases for decisions on the above issue?  Personal
preference on the part of the herbarium director or curator or
someone else?  Objective criteria?  If the latter, what are those criteria?

(3) How many duplicates of single species (or other taxa) are usually
kept and at what point would someone (and who?) say enough is enough,
we are no longer accepting specimens of that species?  Or if the new
ones are better than some of the older ones would this trigger
discarding some earlier ones to make room?

(4) Does the collector of a specimen retain any rights to a say-so in
this matter even if the specimen has been donated to a herbarium but
the collector (or someone else), if contacted, may prefer to send it
elsewhere than to have it trashed?  (a) if the collector works for
the institution where the specimen is and (b) if elsewhere.

(5) Same question as (4) for specimens old enough that either the
collector is dead or cannot be located?  Is there a specimen age old
enough that people should not discard things just because of possible
antique value or historical interest?

(6) Should anyone be allowed to throw out duplicates of type
specimens, or other specimens of taxa only represented by few
collections in a herbarium, under any circumstances?  Even if lacking
reproductive structures and thus very hard to identify?

(7) Is there something like a clearing house for "second hand"
specimens that might otherwise be discarded, comparable to eBay
except (hopefully) limited to actual herbaria?  I realize that
herbaria do exchanges all the time but how often do such exchanges
involve specimens that have been around for a long time or are
subject to discarding if not exchanged?  My general impression is
that those tend to involve relatively recent collections.

(8) Are there major differences in typical policies on the above
issues between herbaria at Universities used mainly for teaching
versus those at museums and other institutions that are used mainly
for research?

Thanks for any inputs on any of the above.  I'll probably think of
something else after I send this, but the above are the major issues
I can think of right now.

Cheers,
Steve

Dr. Steve Manning