[Taxacom] Discarding herbarium specimens

Maarten Christenhusz maachr at utu.fi
Sat Sep 29 08:47:00 CDT 2007

Hi Steve,

My idea about this is that one has to be very careful in discarding specimens. If there is a chance the specimen is cited anywhere it should be kept, no matter the quality of the specimen or the abundance of specimens in the herbarium. There will be many other herbaria that are happy to take specimens which are abundant in your herbarium, but are rare or lacking in a general herbarium in a different part of the world, and this concerns even sterile specimens. They will have many characters that are also worthwhile preserving (e.g. thinking of sterile rain forest trees or juvenile fern collections). Of course if new specimens collected by a student collector come in which are bad, you should be clear about the fact that these specimens are unacceptable and discard the specimens with the students knowledge, so he/she will learn to make better specimens.
In principle if specimens have a good described locality there is a value for studying species distributions. The problem in herbaria is that rare species are overrepresented, so common species should not be blindly discarded, because you already have some old specimens. New specimens may have a great value too.
If a collection is not used scientifically, and has not been so in the past, the discarding of specimens is easier, then when the collection is used by an active team that may cite the specimens in publications. But, if a specimen is pressed well (not all crumbled up or heavily damaged so only twigs and midribs are left), even if it is sterile, you should try to find a place for it, and when you run out of space, or the specimen is useless for your purpose, simply send it somewhere else. There are plenty of herbaria willing to take up well identified sterile specimens, as long as they have good locality data on their labels.
Again something that may be useless in your eyes, may be useful for someone else.

Best wishes,
Maarten Christenhusz
University of Turku, Finland

PS.: for who is interested, I have posted many new plant images on www.botanyphotos.net