[Taxacom] lectotypification?

gurcharan Singh(singhg) singhg at satyam.net.in
Sat Aug 2 09:04:44 CDT 2008

To my mind some things have to be clarified before the question by Michele
Rodda can be answered.

1. It would be appropriate if we know the names of the species under
discussion.
2. If we have access to the original publication of the author, there is
every possibility that we know where the specimens are deposited and whether
or not type was designated..
3. If Mr Rodda does not  know the herbarium where specimens are deposited,
how does he know that more than one specimens with the same number exist.
4. Assuming that we have more than one specimens with same collection
number, obviously they are from the same place, collected on the same date
and better known as isotypes, and if holotype is not traceable, or does not
exist, a lectotype needs to be selected from amongst these isotypes.

Gurcharan Singh