[Taxacom] lectotypification?

Mario Blanco mblanco at flmnh.ufl.edu
Sat Aug 2 11:11:19 CDT 2008

Well, Ms. Rodda asked for advice on the situation she has with the
species she is working with. She is not asking anyone to do the work for
her. It seems that she has traced all duplicates of the type collection
(and if not, useful information can be found for most historically
important plant collectors in either Taxonomic Literature 2 or in the
"Index Herbariorum-Collectors" series published by Regnum Vegetabile;
the latter is different from the regular Index Herbariorum and is not
available online - yet). Her question was whether it is necessary to
designate a lectotype, and this depends on the situation as we already
have discussed earlier in this thread.

One more possibility has to be considered with pre-20th century
collectors (and some early 20th century ones). Some of them (e.g.,
Charles Wright) gave the same number to particular species,
independently of when and where they were collected. In this case,
different specimens with the same number do not belong to a single
gathering and thus are not duplicates, and they cannot be treated as
isotypes, lectotypes, etc. (unless they have the same date and/or
locality data). This was a not uncommon practice back when  many
collectors made a living by selling sets of their collections to mostly
European herbaria.

MB