[Taxacom] "nance" plant materials request

Genevieve Croft croft at wustl.edu
Tue Aug 5 12:16:13 CDT 2008

Hi all,
I am a 3rd year graduate student getting a started on my thesis project, but
have not yet been able to get domestic plant material (dried leaves) for
collecting preliminary data on my species.  Byrsonima crassifolia
[Malpighiaceae],
or "nance", is native to Central & South America, and is also present in the
Carribean.  It is locally valued for its interestingly-flavored fruits.
 Though I haven't located these plants, I have heard rumors that it is
cultivated in the U.S. in both southern Florida and southern California.

Has anyone come across this plant in the U.S., or know someone that grows it
and may be willing to share some leaves?  If anyone has suggestions on
getting material, I would appreciate the help!

Thanks so much,

--
Genevieve K. Croft
(314) 935-7230