[Taxacom] Ethiopian versus Afrotropical

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Wed Aug 13 11:47:03 CDT 2008

>Can anyone provide commentary on the appropriateness, preference, and/or
>subtleties involved in using the term Ethiopian, versus Afrotropical, in
>referring to the biogeographic faunal region that generally encompasses
>sub-Saharan Africa and parts of the southern/southeastern Arabian
>peninsula? Is usage here largely determined by the historical usage
>found in the literature of different taxa? Does this usage vary
>appreciably based on where one works (e.g., do biologists in Africa tend
>to use one term, while biologists in other areas of the world tend to
>use the other)? Which is the 'better' term, and why? Are there
>substantive reasons for using one term over the other? Are the terms
>considered synonymous in general usage, or are there important
>subtleties of meaning implicit in each? Is there a concise discussion of
>these issues in the literature somewhere (citations please...)?

There's a lot of information on Wikipedia, actually, including
numerous references. In this particular case, the entry reads:
---
The Afrotropic is one of the earth's eight ecozones. It includes
Africa south of the Sahara Desert, the southern and eastern fringes
of the Arabian Peninsula, the island of Madagascar, southern Iran and
extreme southwestern Pakistan, and the islands of the western Indian
Ocean. It was formerly known as the Ethiopian Zone or Ethiopian
Region.
----
The "ecozone" article indicates the history of this terminology, and
the other regional definitions:
----
The ecozones are based largely on the biogeographic realms of Pielou
(1979) and Udvardy (1975). A team of biologists convened by the World
Wildlife Fund (WWF) developed a system of eight biogeographic realms
(ecozones) as part of their delineation of the world's over 800
terrestrial ecoregions.

Nearctic 22.9 mil. km? (including most of North America)
Palearctic 54.1 mil. km? (including the bulk of Eurasia and North Africa)
Afrotropic 22.1 mil. km? (including Sub-Saharan Africa)
Indomalaya 7.5 mil. km? (including Afghanistan and Pakistan, the
South Asian subcontinent and Southeast Asia)
Australasia 7.7 mil. km? (including Australia, New Guinea, and
neighbouring islands). The northern boundary of this zone is known as
the Wallace line.
Neotropic 19.0 mil. km? (including South America and the Caribbean)
Oceania 1.0 mil. km? (including Polynesia, Fiji and Micronesia)
Antarctic 0.3 mil. km? (including Antarctica).

The WWF scheme is broadly similar to Udvardy's system, the chief
difference being the delineation of the Australasian ecozone relative
to the Antarctic, Oceanic, and Indomalayan ecozones. In the WWF
system, The Australasia ecozone includes Australia, Tasmania, the
islands of Wallacea, New Guinea, the East Melanesian islands, New
Caledonia, and New Zealand. Udvardy's Australian realm includes only
Australia and Tasmania; he places Wallacea in the Indomalayan Realm,
New Guinea, New Caledonia, and East Melanesia in the Oceanian Realm,
and New Zealand in the Antarctic Realm.
----
I suspect that many of us are still using the older scheme - I, for
example, had never heard the term "Indomalayan" biogeographic region
(the article for this one specifies that it was formerly known as the
Oriental Region) - but maybe taxonomists aren't exposed to the
ecological literature enough.

Peace,