[Taxacom] Plant Systematics Position

Richard Olmstead olmstead at u.washington.edu
Wed Aug 13 11:54:26 CDT 2008

Please distribute the following job ad to anyone you know who may be
looking for a job in Plant Systematics.
Thanks,
Dick Olmstead

TENURE-TRACK POSITION IN PLANT SYSTEMATICS.  Pacific Lutheran
University (PLU) invites applications for a tenure-track position at
the assistant professor level in biology with expertise in plant
systematics, starting Fall 2009.  We seek an enthusiastic botanist
who is committed to excellence in teaching at a predominately
undergraduate institution such as ours and is dedicated to
establishing a research program that engages students.  Teaching
responsibilities will include: a field-based botany course,
introductory biology (majors or non-majors) and an upper division
course in one's expertise. We are particularly interested in
candidates whose research utilize phylogenetic methods to answer
fundamental questions in botany, and might additionally use genomics
tools.  An interest in helping to maintain our herbarium is desired.
Opportunities also exist for faculty to participate in courses in the
first-year experience program, global education, environmental
studies or other interdisciplinary programs.  Tacoma is located on
the Puget Sound of Washington, a uniquely scenic and biologically
diverse region.  Seattle and Mt. Rainier are about 40 miles from the
suburban campus.  PLU enrolls 3,600 students and is committed to
finding connections between the liberal arts and professional schools
and to promoting international education.  The majority of our
faculty have lived abroad or speak a second language.  PLU enjoys a
healthy and progressive relationship with the ELCA.  We serve a
diverse student body, endorse the goals of equal opportunity and
affirmative action, and actively seek applications from women and
underrepresented groups.  Review of applications begins on October 1.
Send in hard copy, an application letter, curriculum vitae,
statements of teaching philosophy and research interests,
undergraduate and graduate transcripts, and three letters of
reference to Dr. Mary Ellard-Ivey, Chair of the Plant Systematics
Search Committee, Dept. of Biology, Pacific Lutheran University,
Tacoma, WA  98447.  Electronic applications will not be accepted.

--
Richard Olmstead
Professor of Biology and Herbarium Curator, Burke Museum

Office: 206-543-8850
lab:            206-543-6594
herbarium:      206-543-1682
FAX:            206-685-1728