[Taxacom] Ethiopian versus Afrotropical

Fabian Haas fhaas at icipe.org
Thu Aug 14 04:32:51 CDT 2008

A note to the notion that Ethiopian would be racist thing... Well first
my colleague from Ethiopia calls herself proudly Etiopian, and secondly
to the best of my knowledge Ethiopia was never a colony and I would
suppose that they chose their name themselves, sometime in their 3000
year history.

'Kenya' is also a genuinely Kenyan name. You might mix that up with
Rhodesia and Zimbabwe, German Southwest Africa and Namibia, French Sudan
for Mali etc. This does not apply to Ethiopia...

Best
Fabian

Fabian Haas wrote:
> Being in Africa, just south of Ethiopa, in Kenya, I do agree with
> Jacque, that the only reason for avoiding Ethiopian in this meaning is
> the possible confusing with the state of Ethiopia. No connotations and
> preferences apart from that.
>
> To my recollection all colleagues (no matter where they come from) here
> at icipe use Afrotropical and sub-Saharan instead of Ethiopian when
> refering to this large region. Ethiopian is only use when refering to
> the country.
>
> best
> Fabian
>
> JOCQUE Rudy wrote:
>
>> "Afrotropical" is indeed synonym of "Ethiopian" in the large biogeographical sense. The former was adopted in analogy with names as Palaearctic, Nearctic, Neotropical. I never heard the idea that "Ethiopian" was left because of bad connotations. It is simply because Ethiopian could lead to confusion as it could mean "restricted to Ethiopia" referring to the political entity, or "restricted to the tropical area of Africa".
>> That is why we gave our journal the name "Journal of Afrotropical Zoology" and not Journal of Ethiopian Zoology. I spoke with zoologists from that country about the matter and they certainly were in favor of our decision!
>>
>> Herewith part of the editorial in the first issue.
>>

>> The Journal of Afrotropical Zoology is obviously devoted to the biology of animals living in the tropical part of Africa, including the islands with that climatic regime but excluding the area north of the Sahara. Although the divide between the Afrotropical and the Palaearctic realms is not clear-cut, it is common knowledge that it lies somewhere near the Tropic of Cancer (23°30'N), although some of the mountain areas south of it may contain Palaearctic elements and vice versa for more northern ranges. To the south, the entirety of Africa is included, although the southern tip of the continent is known to have a temperate climate. However, there is no clear zoological boundary between tropical and southern temperate and it is generally accepted that the Afrotropical realm includes all of South Africa.
>>
>> Rudy JOCQUÉ
>> Head of Invertebrates non-insects section
>> Royal Museum for Central Africa
>> Department of African Zoology
>> Leuvensesteenweg 13
>> 3080 Tervuren, Belgium
>> Tel.: +32 2 769 54 10 Fax : +32 2 769 56 95
>>
>> JOURNAL OF AFROTROPICAL ZOOLOGY
>> ____________________________________
>>
>> A peer reviewed journal on Africa's fauna
>>               without page charges
>> http://www.africamuseum.be/publications/journals/JAZ

FabianHaas2 at gmx.net, fhaas at icipe.org, Extension -2052

www.icipe.org
www.earwigs-online.de :: The Site on Earwig Biology
www.fabianhaas.de :: Personal Photo Website

Dr. Fabian Haas
ICIPE - African Insect Science for Food and Health
Duduville Campus, Kasarani
P.O. Box 30772 - 00100
N A I R O B I
Kenya