[Taxacom] RE revisiting patronym auctions

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Thu Aug 14 17:37:11 CDT 2008

Tyler wrote:

>The
>purpose of these repositories is to enable research, not to impose
>additional burdens on researchers.

Are patronym auctions the same as research? When you write a grant
proposal, do you ask the funding agency to throw in an *extra* $20K
for every species you name, to help support future research at your
institution? No, and if you did, your proposal would be rejected. If
a researcher borrowed 100 specimens from you, said they wanted to
retain 20 of them, and then turned around and sold those retained
specimens on eBay for $1K apiece to support their research, would you
consider that acceptable? If I borrow a book from a public library,
for which copyright has expired, make copies, and sell them, is that
fair to the library? Are you familiar with the concept of "Fair Use"?
The question here is whether patronym auctioning IS "Fair Use". I do
know what you're saying, but we're getting into a fuzzy area between
where research ends and exploitation begins.

>For the sake of argument, let's say that there should be some kick
>back from anyone who profits from herbarium research. How far does it
>go? Why stop at the herbarium? If it's wrong for me to profit from
>information gathered from a herbarium specimen, is it not wrong for
>the herbarium to profit from specimens deposited there without some
>remuneration for the collector, or their descendants?

That would depend on whether the person donating the material was
aware that the herbarium might be able to profit from those
specimens. I suspect most donors and collectors are okay with the
general principle, but might be a little peeved if they were told
"Yeah, one of the specimens you gave us was used to generate $500K.
Thanks!" - especially if they were unemployed and almost penniless.
Generosity is great when it's philanthropic, and when the donor
realizes the value of their donation, but it's not the same if the
donor is completely unaware of its potential value. Is it ethical to
buy a Tiffany lamp at an estate sale for $5 when you not only know
that it's worth $50K, but that the family you're buying it from is on
the verge of being evicted from their home? As for why stop at the
herbarium, it's because the herbarium has operating costs to house,
curate, and maintain those specimens - costs not shared by either the
donor or the researcher using the material - and if they have no
policy for "profit-sharing" then those costs may never be defrayed by
those using that collection. Whoever is funding that herbarium
presumably has to be doing it altruistically. Yes, there IS a long
and honorable tradition of scientific service to the community that
way, and at least a FEW of our museums and collections are secure and
well-funded enough to be able to act altruistically, but it's not
true for all institutions in all countries - a lot of the entities
overseeing a lot of the world's collections are NOT altruistic, which
is why so many collections are losing staff, or having their doors
shut permanently. It's not pretty, it's not traditional, but it's
happening more and more.

>I think this is all backwards. We *want* people to make use of museum
>collections.

I agree completely, in case you were getting the wrong idea.

>Publishing a field guide, or a new species, or a
>monograph, these are a real tangible benefit to the collection. It is
>easier to support a collection if you can point to the projects it
>enabled.

That's not tangible, actually. If "having people use/visit your
collection" was tangible, then no museum in the world would ever have
to charge admission. It also depends entirely upon who you're asking
for support, and what their mandate/motives are. If your boss'
mandate is "You either bring in outside money, or you lose your job"
then having someone else making a profit from your resources without
giving anything back is not going to make your boss happy - not one
bit. Normal species descriptions or monographs do NOT generate a
profit - most field guides, and things like auctions, DO, so there is
no reason that the revenue could NOT be shared. Yes, I know that if
you're asking NSF for a collections improvement grant, then things
like that do help you gain support, but that's not what we're talking
about here.

>Are you suggesting that it would be better to have your budget or
>staff slashed than to accept outside sponsorship?

No, I'm saying that YOU might find that you are getting not one penny
of outside sponsorship money, even if it were your specimens being
used to raise $500K worth of sponsorship for someone else's
institution. It's not a matter of "accepting sponsorship" - no one is
*offering* any sponsorship to YOU. The sponsors are giving other
people money to put names on your specimens. That doesn't help you
keep your doors open, or your staff employed. That money is hiring
staff and paying the budget to run someone ELSE's herbarium. All of
the *tangible* benefit is going to someone else - until and unless
(1) the people auctioning the names are altruistic, and pay you a
share voluntarily (2) you  start running auctions yourself, or (3)
you begin insisting on a cut. Unless scenario #1 takes place in every
single case, how can this sort of business NOT drive a wedge between
the haves and the have-nots?

In every case I'm aware of to date, I have yet to hear of anyone who
has auctioned off a name sharing any of the proceeds with
institutions from which they borrowed material. Either no one is
reporting it, or no one is doing it (or, by accident or design, no
one is using borrowed material). Does anyone here actually have
information indicating otherwise?

>I think we'd be in a better position with administrators if
>we could demonstrate a larger interest in herbarium research, rather
>than walling ourselves off in our collections and simply demand more
>money.

Again, I know what you're saying - truly I do - but this isn't about
a larger interest in research, it's about whether your institution
can *afford* to be playing "dove" if everyone else is playing "hawk".
Seriously, how do you think the following statement would go over
with the average administrator:

"We're asking for a $30K budget this year, and we believe we've
earned this level of support because last year, specimens that were
borrowed from our collection generated a total of $500K in revenue
for three other collections."

Do you think many administrators are going to feel THAT charitable?
Or, more likely, is their first thought going to be "What!? Wait a
minute - why couldn't WE have made those $500K in revenue, if those
were OUR specimens?" or "If you could be generating $500K in profit,
why are we *paying* you $30K instead?"

>Of course it's tasteless. But in an increasing number of cases, the
>choice is not between sponsorship and the status quo, it's between
>sponsorship and shutting the doors.

Only for whoever is running the auctions. I'm talking about how to
deal fairly with the people who are supplying them with their
specimens. That's why I raised the ESS model above (the hawk/dove
game); the game only works smoothly if everyone plays dove - if
anyone plays hawk, then the whole system will collapse into chaos,
until *everyone* plays hawk, all the time. And even if everyone
agrees in principle to profit-sharing, with no hawkish "cheaters" in
the system, then all one needs to do to avoid the penalty of
profit-sharing is simply to stop borrowing material. To use your own
analogy, "walling ourselves off in our collections" - again, dividing
the community into haves and have-nots, if only because many
collections have no taxonomists in them. Such collections would be
largely abandoned, because they'd be outside the proverbial walls.
Or, how about this scenario: you have two researchers asking to
borrow the same material, one of whom auctions names and agrees to
profit-sharing, the other who does not. Would that not lead you to
NOT loan specimens to the second person?

>Wow, do you really think it might come to that? Funders lining up to
>sponsor herbarium research, jockeying to get themselves associated
>with researchers working on the least studied, and thus most likely to
>yield new names, taxa? Maybe instead of railing against the
>possibility, we should be thinking of ways to encourage this to
>develop in a more dignified direction.

No, I see funders lining up to have the next new orchid, or
butterfly, or bird named after them. At least, the funders who don't
mind paying $250K or more per species. But even if the least
charismatic taxa can yield an extra $5K per species, your herbarium
still needs to be the one running the auction! It's not about being
dignified, it's about figuring out if there's any way to keep it from
turning into a competition.

>Not everyone on this list has a job yet, and for those of us looking
>for work the pickings are slim. I would certainly prefer secure work
>in a sponsored herbarium over continuing on the postdoc treadmill.

One last time, the issue I'm raising is of the herbarium (or whatever
other kind of collection) that gets NOTHING from sponsorship, but
whose specimens are being used by others to garner sponsorship for
*their* collection(s). Heck, you wouldn't even need to *have* your
own collection. Just go from herbarium to herbarium, auction off
their species, and keep the money for your personal research. Really,
altruism doesn't pay unless you're all clones.

Sincerely,