[Taxacom] RE revisiting patronym auctions

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 18:52:20 CDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Doug Yanega <dyanega at ucr.edu> wrote:
> Really, altruism doesn't pay unless you're all clones.

Well!  Someone needs to go back to Sunday School for a refresher
course.  Whatever happened to altruism being its own reward?  :)

Maybe the reason is we are having these discussions is the belief
there is a market out there.  I am not convinced there is and suspect
that the transactions are driven by local philanthropy.  But let's
assume there is is a market.  It definitely does not operate under the
principles of free trade.   You will almost certainly be able to get
more for your bug name than I can so there is obviously some sort of
invidious local subsidy in play.    Maybe I could export my new taxa
to a more lucrative market in North America, maybe UCR could be a
naming agent (for a small or extortionate fee).  But would there be
tariff barriers to keep out shoddy workmanship cheap import taxa?
Would there be buyer resistance to third world under paid worker taxa?
 Would there be unfair competition from a 'name-mile'  buy-local
movement?

If we are feeling ripped off because someone made a bit of money
through creating a name to put on our type specimen, there is always
the moral superiority thing to fall back on.  But sometimes moral
superiority is not enough.  We could assert IP and build benefit
sharing from the act of taxonomy into our access and materials
transfer agreements.  Enter the lawyers.

jim

Jim Croft
jim.croft at gmail.com

"Words, as is well known, are the great foes of reality."
- Joseph Conrad, author (1857-1924)